“If you’re feeling in need of a bit of a boost, what do you do to cheer yourself up? If a friend was feeling down, what would you do to give them a lift? What about a lovely mood-boosting book?”
We are creating a new list of Mood Boosting Books for 2016 and we need your help. If you would like to join in and suggest any titles then please fill in this short form with the book details, a short review and why you would recommend it. Please send in your recommendation by December 11th, the new list will be launched on 18th January, unofficially the most miserable day of the year and will be known as Blue Monday.
You can recommend pretty much any type of book, as long as it has not been recommended on previous lists, Mood Boosting titles chosen for national lists in previous years can be found at http://reading-well.org.uk/books/mood-boosting-books
The final list will be chosen from your recommendations by a panel of librarians, readers and staff from The Reading Agency.
The winners of the 2014 Mood Boosting list, voted for by the residents of Brighton and Hove were…
- Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibbons
- Terry Pratchett (anything)
- No. 1 ladies Detective Agency – Alexander McCall-Smith
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
- Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
- Tuesdays with Morrie – Mitch Albom
- The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho
- Dead Man’s Time – Peter James
- Cider with Rosie – Laurie Lee
- The 100 Year Old Man who Climbed out of a Window – Jonas Jonasson